Senior Designer (Contract-To-Hire)
Smith + Connors is looking for a senior designer with agency experience for a remote contract-to-hire position immediately.
We are a brand-focused strategy, design, and website development studio. Our work encompasses brand identity, graphics, websites, branded environments, and communications. The partners work directly with clients across disciplines to produce exceptional strategies and assets for our purpose-driven organizations and businesses. We have extremely high standards, employ a collaborative design approach, and run a fast-paced environment. Our ethos: humanity, honesty, directness, clarity, and quality.
Smith + Connors specifically seeks diverse perspectives and ideas among design candidates. We are an inclusive studio committed to equity and diversity. This is an equal employment opportunity open to applicants within the United States.
Who We’re Looking For
Our studio is looking for a senior designer to execute on brands, websites, marketing campaigns, and more.
- Demonstrate a strong portfolio with experience in brand, typography, UX/UI.
- *Note: Portfolio should indicate your role on each project and the other creative team members who contributed to and guided your work.
- Have 5+ years agency experience and be effective and comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
- Have expertise in modern design and layout programs (Adobe CC: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign; Figma, Google Docs + Slides).
- Have a strong knowledge of the design process in order to develop and deliver complex projects.
The ideal candidate for Smith + Connors is:
- Open to a highly collaborative design process.
- Deeply curious and passionate about design and communications.
- Energetic and enthusiastic about the work.
- Open to critique and learning from the team.
- Comfortable leaving your ego at the door and putting the work and client first.
- Able to clearly articulate your ideas.
Your core responsibilities will be:
- Source visuals (moodboards) according to a strategy
- Design concepts within a strategy or brand
Execution (Design through Production)
- Work with the creative team to execute a visual concept through final production.
- Design logos, brand systems, websites, print collateral, presentations, campaigns, social posts, and other media.
- Design type layouts and systems for digital and print applications, using advanced typography skills.
- Edit photography.
- Present work to our creative team, bringing a strong design point of view.
- Present work to clients.
- Own small scale projects independently.
- See projects through to completion.
- Create presentation materials for new business and client presentations.
- Nice to haves, but not required:
- Motion design (such as animated GIFs or more)
Contract hourly rate
- Hourly rates are dependent on experience and will range between $70-$90.
- Compensation is dependent on experience and will range between $75,000-$85,000.
You’re Not A One Trick Pony…
- Graphic design and print layout
- Digital project experience (websites, web apps)
- Responsive web design skills
- Basic understanding of CSS and HTML elements
- Familiarity with social platforms
Your Toolbox is Impressive…
- Advanced knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Figma, Google Suite that results in impeccably-organized digital files (After Effects and prototyping applications a plus)
Not Required, But Oh So Sweet
- BA, BFA, or BS in Graphic Design or similar
- Fine Art/Illustration skills
- UX research experience and knowledge
- Photography skills
Please don’t apply if you:
- Have a singular visual style
- Don’t think conceptually
- Can’t design well within brand guidelines
- Don’t like wearing multiple hats (which comes with working at a small shop)
- Don’t want to do “lower level” role (production)
- Are hung up on roles or hierarchy
- Can’t handle critiques or direction from any/all team members on your work
- Can’t balance your opinions with others in the name of collaboration
- Choice of 2 Health Insurance Plans (incl Vision) with option of employer contribution or cash equivalent
- Simple IRA with Employer contributing 2% of salary regardless of your contribution
- 15 days of flexible, paid vacation
- 5 personal/sick days
- 8 paid holidays + 1 floating holiday per year
How to Apply...
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.