ABOUT SMITH + CONNORS
We design and build strategic brands and websites for businesses and organizations on a mission. Our clients are society’s change makers and we’re not afraid to walk away from business that doesn’t align with our values.
We’re an agency run by three partners, seamlessly, on two coasts, in Portland and Boston. We strive everyday to create an environment and culture where people feel supported and energized by creating great work. We laugh a lot because otherwise, what’s the point? Our five values guide us in everything we do: Humanity, Honesty, Directness, Clarity, and Quality.
You can learn more about us and our work at www.smithandconnors.com.
About the Job
This position is in Portland, OR.
We are excited to be expanding our design team, which currently consists of a Creative Director, an Art Director, a Designer, and contract Designers, as needed. We are seeking another team member to work closely with us to expand the breadth of our discipline and client services. This role will report up to the Creative Director/Partner, with additional guidance and direction from the Art Director.
In the role, you will be accountable for:
- Source visuals (moodboards) according to a strategy
- Design concepts within a strategy or brand
Execution (Design through Production)
- Work with the creative team to execute a visual concept through final production
- Design logos, brand systems, websites, print collateral, presentations, campaigns, and other media
- Sketch and draw, using advanced hand skills
- Design type layouts and systems for digital and print applications, using advanced typography skills
- Edit photography
- Create basic motion assets, such as animated GIFs
- Present work to creative team, bringing a strong design point of view
- Own small scale projects independently
- See projects through to completion
- Create presentation materials for new business and client presentations
- Source images for comps as communicated by art director
- Scan docs/imagery, digital photography, and image manipulation for comp work
You’ve Been Around This Racetrack Many Times…
- Minimum of 5 years’ design and production experience in an agency environment
You’ve Got The Work To Show For It...
- Portfolio showcasing innovative and beautiful digital concepts, branding, and creative design solutions.
*Note: Portfolio should indicate your role on each project and the other creative team members who contributed to and guided your work
You’re Not A One Trick Pony…
- Graphic design and print layout
- Digital project experience (websites, web apps)
- Responsive web design skills
- Basic understanding of CSS and HTML elements
- Familiarity with social platforms
Your Toolbox is Impressive…
- Advanced knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, InVision, and Sketch that results in impeccably-organized digital files, Google Suite (After Effects and prototyping applications a plus)
Not Required, But Oh So Sweet
- BA, BFA, or BS in Graphic Design or similar
- Fine Art/Illustration skills
- UX research experience and knowledge
- Photography skills
Please don’t apply if you:
- Aren’t located in the Portland, OR area
- Have a singular visual style
- Don’t think conceptually
- Can’t design well within brand guidelines
- Don’t like wearing multiple hats (which comes with working at a small shop)
- Don’t want to do “lower level” role (production)
- Are hung up on roles or hierarchy
- Can’t handle critiques or direction from any/all team members on your work
- Can’t balance your opinions with others in the name of collaboration
Who We’re Looking For:
You will be:
- Talented: You create visuals that excite, delight and inspire. You’ve got it going on, you’re all that, you complete us.
- Adaptable in style, medium and format: You’re someone whose design skills aren’t limited to print or digital, but instead can translate design strategies and concepts appropriately to any medium or format, as well as any industry, situation, user and lifestyle.
- A bit “scrappy”: You get that a new-ish agency that’s growing up and evolving is a work in progress. This feels exciting to you (opportunities for improvement!) more than frustrating.
- A pleasure to work with: You strike that wonderful balance of inner confidence without arrogance. You’re not just good, you’re good to be around. You take your work seriously, but never too seriously.
- Passionate and Inspired: Design isn’t just a job; it’s a reflection of your limitless curiosity, exploration and expression.
- A strategic thinker: You understand that design is way more than creating something pretty. You use design to bring ideas and stories to life and have to strategic reasons for everything you create.
- “Sketchy”: You like sketching ideas to prove out concepts.
- A systems thinker: You realize how vital organization and systems are to design and you’ve honed these skills in your work. Process, collaboration, and systems-thinking come easily to you.
- A simplifier/clarifier: You make even the most complex concepts easy to understand.
- User focused: While visual design is your passion, user experience is always top of mind.
- Driven: You’re curious -- always learning and sharing your discoveries and perspectives.
- A nimble juggler: Fast-paced, shifting projects don’t phase you.
- Self-motivated: You appreciate help from great tools, processes and people, but no one needs to light a fire under you or remind you of your responsibilities. You’re a grown-up and an inspired one at that.
- Detailed: You’re dedicated to the details that make visual design look great, as well as the production details that many designers forget. (You saw that extra space in the last sentence.)
- Collaborative: You trust and believe in your team and aren’t afraid to debate or follow someone else’s direction when it’s for the greater good. Roles and hierarchy are less important to you than producing great work. You’re thrilled that egos and inflexibility don’t do well here because you simply don’t have time for that nonsense.
- Choice of 2 Health Insurance Plans (incl Vision) with option of employer contribution or cash equivalent
- Simple IRA with Employer contributing 2% of salary regardless of your contribution
- 15 days of flexible, paid vacation
- 5 personal/sick days
- 8 paid holidays + 1 floating holiday per year
How to apply...
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.